FAQs: Race and Ethnicity Self-Identification

Main content start
  1. Why has Stanford University asked its current employees to self-identify their race and ethnicity status?
  2. How will your information be used?
  3. Who has access to the race and ethnicity data that employees have provided?
  4. What if I decline to state my race and ethnicity?
  5. Can my race and/or ethnicity data be used in making employment decision(s)?
  6. Will I be able to change my race and/or ethnicity data?
  7. Who can I contact for more information, questions or concerns regarding the invitation to self-identify my race and ethnicity?

Stanford is asking that you to self-identify your race and ethnicity information so that we can evaluate our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts. In addition, having accurate gender and race data allows the University to provide an accurate display of the diversity composition of the Stanford community on the IDEAL Dashboard. Lastly, Stanford University is a federal government contractor and is required to request information and periodically report on the gender, race, and ethnicity of our employees.

2. How will your information be used?

The data may be used in representations, such as the IDEAL dashboard, that illustrate the demographics of our community. These data displays will never identify your name or other identifying characteristics. However, in cases of very small group sizes, identifying data could be deduced by some viewers. The information also will be used for analysis and reporting, as required by the federal government.

The identified race and ethnicity data (along with veteran and disability status) are considered confidential employee information and are used for analysis and reporting about the demographic composition of Stanford's workforce. Only administrators in roles related to data analysis, faculty affairs, finance, human resources and senior administrators have access to individual names and race and ethnicity information.

Submission of the information is voluntary, and declining to provide it will not subject you to any adverse treatment. Every employee has the ability to choose the "Decline to State" option (box). Checking this box will not affect your employment status, and employees may change their data and/or decline to state at any time.

No, this is prohibited by law. The race and/or ethnicity information you provide is personal employee information that is protected in accordance with applicable laws and will not be used as a basis for any employment decision affecting you.

Yes, you may change your race and/or ethnicity data by going to the Axess portal, employee tab, and updating your personal information which you can view and change at any time.

You may contact the University's designated compliance officer for equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Contact equalopportunity@stanford.edu.